Open call for applications – JEI Research Lead Recruitment Programme 2023. Interested applicants should be an innovative thinker with good technical skills with desk and field research employing quantitative and qualitative methodologies, and a participatory approach.
Justice & Empowerment Initiatives (JEI) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization based in Lagos and Port Harcourt, Nigeria, and Cotonou, Benin. We empower poor and marginalized individuals and communities to lead the changes that they would like to see in their own communities — whether greater access to justice for the poor, pro-poor urban governance and policy, or community-led in-situ upgrading and development. Our work is community driven, community owned, and community sustained. Partner communities identify their needs and set priorities – e.g. addressing violence, strengthening land tenure, or building drainages. These priorities feed into all aspects of our work.
We work hand-in-hand with urban poor social movements and grassroots networks, bringing technical expertise in a variety of professions to inform, strengthen and support community-led efforts to solve justice and development problems. Our ultimate goal is to build the capacity of poor and marginalized individuals to set up sustainable community-level and inter-community structures to support and leverage their efforts and resources to bring about lasting change.
JEI is looking for a committed person, with significant experience in the coordination of multidisciplinary research projects (including in the fields of social sciences, economics and law), to join our team in Lagos as research lead. He/she will be an innovative thinker with good technical skills with desk and field research employing quantitative and qualitative methodologies, and a participatory approach. He/she undertakes to support and coordinate a participatory action-research project. The Research Lead will work with JEI staff members, external researchers, other partners, and survey teams within our partner communities.
- Coordinate a multi-country participatory action-research project in West Africa in at least 3 French-speaking and English-speaking countries;
- Work with JEI-Benin and JEI-Nigeria staff members, external researchers, and other partners, and survey teams within our partner communities;
- Conduct action-research in the field and manage survey teams within our partner communities, agree periodic meetings to coordinate these actions with other parallel research activities, and help our partners in other countries with the replication and coordination of their parallel research actions;
- Produce periodic reports and take on other administrative responsibilities related to the management of the project.
- At least 5 years of experience in multidisciplinary participatory research;
- Master’s degree in social sciences, law, economics or another relevant field;
- Demonstrated ability to use the law as a tool for social change;
- Strong documentary and field research skills (quantitative and qualitative methodologies);
- Professional fluency in both French and English is a major plus;
- Experience working with communities and/or community associations is a significant asset.
- Training and experience in human rights, political advocacy, and/or project management is an asset;
- Proficiency in local languages such as is an asset. Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in Hausa, Egun, Goun, Fon, and/or Yoruba languages skills a significant plus.
Link To Apply for Nestlé Nigeria Talent Acquisition Partner Programme
Link To Apply for NITDA Creative Technology Programme (CTP)
The JEI Research Lead Recruitment Application Process
Interested applicants should forward CV, cover letter and two copies of relevant editorial work (articles, reports, etc.) to email@example.com with “Research Lead” in the subject line.
Join the conversation>>>> Whatsapp Group 1
Share this with at least three people who you think can benefit from it.
Please leave your questions in the comment section below.