EcoHeroes Initiative Programme 2023 open to Secondary School Students in Africa. This edition of the EcoHeroes Initiative will be focused on Sustainable Development and anchored on three thematic pillars, namely; Sustainable Energy; Sustainable Aviation; and Climate Change.
EcoHeroes Initiative adopts a co-creation and learners’-centered approach that utilizes, maximises, and leverages the high enthusiasm, technology savvy, resilience, and exploratory spirit of the youth in conceptualising and implementing innovative local environmental solutions that also address socioeconomic needs in Africa, particularly in their local communities.
The initiative fosters practical, experiential, and hands-on acquisition of problem-solving skills by addressing real-world environmental problems in connection to themes of socioeconomic development (health, energy access, education, among others).
The initiative empowers young people with action competences that will enable them to develop capacity and long-term commitment to sustainability for everyday life, career engagement or voluntary service as environmentalists or influencers for the environment, both at local and international levels.
- Open to all African countries
- Each secondary school will be represented by a team comprising of at least five (5) students and a coordinating teacher (more students and teachers are allowed depending on the nature of their project).
- Each team is expected to identify Sustainable Energy; Sustainable Aviation; and Climate Change challenges in their local (or global) communities, brainstorm and propose an idea of how they could address the challenge or meet the need. Only innovative and inspiring project ideas on sustainable energy, sustainable aviation and climate change will be considered.Please note that:
- Upon selection and completion of the projects with the support of an Expert Advisor, each student team will be required to share the outcome of their project through a local outreach which could be to other students in their schools, people in their local communities among others. #GreenGrowthAfrica will also organize intercontinental knowledge-sharing webinars where the students will share the outcomes of their projects, skills acquired, and lessons learnt.
- Upon the completion of the projects and mentorship, each student team will be constituted into a school-based environmental club “EcoHeroes” which could admit more students to sustain the project and continue to engage on environmental sustainability in the long term. The schools will be required to operate and sustain the clubs. While #GreenGrowthAfrica will not be responsible for the operation and finance of the clubs, we will provide technical support, monthly/quarterly meetings, as well as share possible opportunities with the clubs.
- A plan of activities for operation of the club, “EcoHeroes”, after the completion of the project funded within the EcoHeroes Initiative 2022/2023 will be submitted by each school. The plan should cover at least three months of club activities. This is crucial as the sustainability of the clubs is a major objective of the programme. Please note that there is no format for the plan of activities, however, it should be clear and understandable in highlighting how the club will be operated after the completion of the projects within the EcoHeroes 2022/2023. The activities can be zero cost initiatives such as debates, quizzes, games, outreaches, etc.
Each selected team will receive;
- Mentorship support from international and local experts as technical advisors to refine and help with the implementation of the project through quality mentorship and advisory.
- Capacity development through critical thinking, hands-on project implementation, online webinar presentation and training
- Up to USD 500 funding for the implementation of project idea for all selected teams. The ideas will be innovative projects that connect sustainable energy, sustainable aviation and/or climate action with other themes of development and livelihood (such as health, poverty, etc). Project ideas that include outdoor activities are strongly encouraged. Please, note that the implementation of the projects should be between 3-6 months
- Certificate of participation
- Opportunity to share their projects with other secondary school students across the globe
APPLICATION DEADLINE: January 22, 2023
Interested applicants should visit the EcoHeroes Initiative Programme 2023 online application portal to apply.
See Official publication below!!
Join the conversation>>>> Whatsapp Group 1
Share this with at least three people who you think can benefit from it.
Please leave your questions in the comment section below.